ORA-01161 weirdness trying to recreate controlfile

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:37:14 GMT

database is 9.2.0.8 running on windows 2003

I have done this lots of times, copy latest hot backup over from prod machine, startup mount, re create controlfile with 'set database "newname" resetlogs noarchivelog' clause.

After control file is created recover the database using backup controlfile until cancel and apply archives if need be and open with resetlogs.

Only this time, for reasons I can't figure out, I keep getting ORA-01161: database name NEWNAME in file header does not match given name of OLDNAME

I am stumped, can't see any typos, or any other reason why it is not letting me rename the database ?

Am I missing something real simple here?

tia Received on Tue Feb 26 2008 - 16:37:14 CST

Original text of this message