Re: User Experiences with Data Pump Versus Legacy EXP/IMP

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:22:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 25, 1:15 pm, EdLong <rdhm..._at_prodigy.net> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 1:26 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 24, 5:08 pm, EdLong <rdhm..._at_prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hi everyone.
> > > We are 10.2.0.3 running on Windows 2003. I have to move about a
> > > terabyte of Oracle data from one disk array to another; its split
> > > amongst 5 schemas or so. I'd like to solicit some user experiences
> > > with DataPump. You may infer that we have not had the best experience
> > > so far.
>
> > > I started with the largest subset, a single schema of about 200gb.
> > > Using traditional exp, sneaker net, import, this took about 24 hours
> > > to move. Of this, nearly 20 hours was the import. Target machine
> > > consists of 4 3ghz engines with beaucoup memory and little if any
> > > competing workload.
>
> > That seems slow, have you done everything you can to speed it up?http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/import_speed.htmInparticular, using
> > direct path for both exp and imp, and doing the imp with noarchivelog,
> > then switching to archivelog and taking a backup can make a big
> > difference.  Have you checked to see what is slowing it down?
> > Sometimes the I/O is just overwhelmed, especially if you are dependent
> > on some RAID-5 with write buffers that get saturated.
>
> > > I've tried several different cuts at DataPump but found it somewhat
> > > unsatisfactory.
>
> > > It appears that at least in our shop at this level, The target
> > > directory for the expdp and the source directory for the impdp cannot
> > > be either a mapped drive or a USB drive. I could not find any
> > > documentation for these apparent limitations.
>
> > > The expdp says I can't open and write to the log file if its a map
> > > drive. The EXPDP appears to work when pointed at a USB drive. The
> > > impdp fails on a USB drive with a 'hard' i/o error after an hour or
> > > two of processing. I tried the latter at a parallel level of 4 and 2;
> > > I didn't try 1.
>
> > > What leads me to risk the wrath of Achilles and query this group is
>
> > Aw, all we want are decent questions!  :-)
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > What's in your database?  http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ghPenZUJTE7BfSfgQbj6RX597DEAD8V019...Hide quoted text -

> Thank you both for the great suggestions.
> 1: I'm confident the USB drive is ok; brand new disk, just formatted
> and chkdsk /f'd with no problems. Not sure if its a Windows problem; I
> have seen similar 'dodgy' results when Windows tried to compress a
> file that ended up > 32Gb. No compression here though.
> 2: I tried the noarchivelog option on the destination; it made a
> slight difference.
> 3: The target disk is an EMC Clarion CX-310 configured as a Raid 5
> disk so Raid delay could be a factor.
> 4: I don't control the source instances so CONSISTENT=Y and DIRECT=Y
> were both problematic due to Undo size and other factors. I actually
> [...]

Sounds like you may be simply hitting your hardware limits then, though if noarchivelog doesn't make much difference, I'm not sure what is going on (unless your arcs go to a different device or controller?). You might try "roll-your-own-parallelization" by simply starting up a couple of imps to different tablespaces and see what your HBA and clock time say about that. I would expect your business would stay the same and the queues would grow, but I really don't know anything about Clarion, it may have some smartypants adaptiveness that you need to convince it to use, or may be much worse. If the latter, I would suspect the results mixadba posted wouldn't apply to your situation.

DIRECT should be faster.

And now for something completely different: http://asktom.oracle.com/tkyte/flat/

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Download Jonathan Lewis's its_the_data in rtf format.  Open it with