Re: Question about xml full text search

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:56:59 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 6:31 pm, Reny <renato.esch..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a question about full text search over a xml field.
> I have an xhtml stored in it, if I perform a full text search on this
> field the markup field are included in the search or there are skipped
> by the full text search function?
>
> thanks all

Depends on how you created the Text index. If you created it with automatic sectioning then tags themselves are not indexed as tokens but you can constrain your search to certain elements using WITHIN() operator. We successfully used this feature by creating and indexing XML documents from disparate sources (several columns from several tables) and searching these documents using dynamic Text queries. The SQL itself is always the same, only the Text query changes, so it's pretty efficient and scalable. Previously we had to dynamically build complex SQL with multiple joins depending on columns being searched. This didn't scale and was inherently complex, hard to maintain and extend, and didn't perform at acceptable speeds. Automatic XML sectioning really saved our day on that particular task.

See Oracle Text Reference for your Oracle release for more information on XML indexing and automatic sectioning.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Tue Feb 26 2008 - 10:56:59 CST

Original text of this message