Re: Make "exp" be quiet

From: Doug Miller <spambait_at_milmac.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:08:54 GMT

In article <6232227.OE5XBVvYtM_at_michael-schmarck.my-fqdn.de>, michael.schmarck_at_emailbase.de wrote:

>I'm using exp daily in a cron job to export data from a database.
>In the cron job, I'm running:
>
>exp ${ora_user}/${ora_pass} FILE=/tmp/test.exp LOG=/tmp/test.exp.log \
> DIRECT=Y FULL=Y STATISTICS=NONE > /dev/null
[...]
>How can I make "exp" shut up and only "say" something, when there's
>an error? The problem with exp not being quiet is, that this produces
>output and thus an email is triggered - I'd rather only get an email,
>if there's an error.
>
>I'm on Solaris 10.

You might try redirecting stderr to a file, then parsing the file with a shell script to see if there's anything there that needs your attention. Or simply directing stderr to grep, to select lines of interest, would suffice. This seems like more of a Unix question than an Oracle question; perhaps you should post to comp.unix.shell instead/as well. Received on Tue Feb 26 2008 - 08:08:54 CST

Original text of this message