Re: PL/SQL or SQL in the middle tier?

From: <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:04:12 GMT

"The House Dawg" <> wrote in message On Feb 20, 11:10 am, The House Dawg <> wrote:
> Folks,
> I work for a Fortune 50 company and we currently have millions of PL/
> SQL code in production. Recently, there has been an initiative
> launched by our DBA's to have software engineers move the PL/SQL out
> of the database and move it into the middle tier.
> Does this make sense to anyone? I realize that SOX could be playing a
> part in this because it's difficult to debug a production issue when
> developers must be granted temporary execute privilege on the various
> stored procedures and stored functions to debug the issue.
> I can think of many reasons *NOT* to do this.
> TIA for any and all feedback.
> Matt

Oops, I left out the proposed refactoring - the software engineers would translate the PL/SQL into SQL that would be embedded into our .Net (C#) middle tier. The database layer would just be a set of tables that the middle tier would manipulate with SQL.

It smacks more of someone wanting to do .net development and looking to create a project.
Jim Received on Thu Feb 21 2008 - 01:04:12 CST

Original text of this message