Re: PL/SQL or SQL in the middle tier?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:43:19 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 20, 11:10 am, The House Dawg <mhous..._at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I work for a Fortune 50 company and we currently have millions of PL/
> SQL code in production.  Recently, there has been an initiative
> launched by our DBA's to have software engineers move the PL/SQL out
> of the database and move it into the middle tier.
>
> Does this make sense to anyone?  I realize that SOX could be playing a
> part in this because it's difficult to debug a production issue when
> developers must be granted temporary execute privilege on the various
> stored procedures and stored functions to debug the issue.
>
> I can think of many reasons *NOT* to do this.
>
> TIA for any and all feedback.
>
> Matt

I agree with the others, but given you have millions of lines, they are perhaps very old lines? Simply rewriting with newer technology may help if it allows getting rid of obsolete code written to RBO or whatever was the myth of the day. On the other hand, with that much code someone is likely to write a code porter that just adds a network layer to bad code. But most likely, the middle tier is going to suffer from the myths of today, but won't be finished today.

Now, where was it I saw about Larry admitting it will take ten years to do soap?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/12.27.html#subj13.1