Re: crosscheck backup and obsolete

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:55:35 +0100

Comments embedded

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:52:09 -0800 (PST), Ben <benalvey_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>10.2.0.2 EE & rman
>
>If I issue
>
>rman>report obsolete
>
>I get a listing of around 100 old archivelogs that were backed up 4
>years ago and no longer exist. I have tried to delete obsolete, but I
>get an error saying there is a mismatch and to crosscheck to fix the
>issue.
>
>I run a crosscheck on backup, backupset, archivelog all and still
>doesn't work when I try to delete obsolete.

as expected.
After a crosscheck the command is
delete expired

Delete obsolete expects the backups still to be there. If you expect them not to be there
use
delete force obsolete.
Warning: this will remove the backuppiece from the catalog/controlfile without warning, even if its there but inaccessible.

>I issued a
>crosscheck backuppiece 1805, 1806;
>then
>delete expired;
>and it works.
>
>now how can i get around listing out each individual backuppiece
>number?

You don't need to.
crosscheck backup of archivelog all
works.

Apart from that: the only thing you need to do is just a little bit of doc reading.
Something most people like to avoid at all cost.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA