Re: PL/SQL or SQL in the middle tier?

From: <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:25:36 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.
On Feb 20, 1:10 pm, The House Dawg <> wrote:
> Folks,
> I work for a Fortune 50 company and we currently have millions of PL/
> SQL code in production.  Recently, there has been an initiative
> launched by our DBA's to have software engineers move the PL/SQL out
> of the database and move it into the middle tier.

Have they explained exactly how they'll get a stored procedure/ function/package to compile outside of the database in this middle tier? Or are they

> Does this make sense to anyone?

Not particularly, and the SOX auditors with which I've worked haven't had issue with such configurations.

>  I realize that SOX could be playing a
> part in this because it's difficult to debug a production issue when
> developers must be granted temporary execute privilege on the various
> stored procedures and stored functions to debug the issue.

You don't have a test bed configured for such tasks? One that could be refreshed with the production data strictly for such actions?

> I can think of many reasons *NOT* to do this.

So can I. I'll bet they're the same as yours.

> TIA for any and all feedback.
> Matt

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Feb 20 2008 - 14:25:36 CST

Original text of this message