Re: Disappearing Sessions - Revisited

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:42:58 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 11:32 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> This is in response to the matter of sessions just disappearing without a
> trace.  Does this statement make sense?
>
> "If you are using sqlplusw, some times the session lockup without giving
> control back to the foreground of the application."

Doesn't make sense.
By design the sqlplusw task will show as 'Not responding' when the dedicated server process (or shared server process) on the server is busy to execute the query you submitted. Usually queries are short, and you don't see the 'Not responding' status. If you submit long running queries, get impatient, and hit CTRL-C you will have a dangling session on the server.
When the session is fetching results it is active so it won't be disconnected.
In a previous post you demonstrated code of abysmal quality, filling up the PGA, and, if I recall correctly, without any error trapping. You need to stop barking up the wrong tree, and fix the code, following the guideline you should not do in PL/SQL, what you can do in SQL.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA