Re: 11i Market Share

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:57:32 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 14, 6:11 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 6:48 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> >> I have no idea and I don't care. Here's what I care about:
>
> >>www.dice.com
>
> >> SAP:                  9,993 jobs
> >> E-Business Suite      6,631 jobs
> >> PeopleSoft            3,147 jobs
> >> Siebel                2,061 jobs
> >> J.D.Edwards           1,156 jobs
>
> >> Everything else is just marketing.
>
> > Sometimes even job offers are - sadly enough.
>
> > Cheers
>
> > robert
>
> Unless you are a stockholder everything else is illusion or delusion.
>
> When Oracle's apps business is larger than SAP's it won't be Larry's
> announcement that will tell me it has happened. It will obvious to all
> based on the number of available jobs.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

There may be something to the relative numbers of job ads, but we cannot reliably evaluate the skew. Various skewers:

How many are just musical chairs?
How many are duplicates (no primary key, eh?)? How many are body shops throwing in the unqualified and advertising because they know there is high thrash?
How many are, as robert noted, marketing? (which could be farming for customers as well as farming for consultants, not to mention farming for identity theft)
How many are busywork for HR departments? How many are BS for jobs where someone is already designated but procedures must be followed?
How many are just in case the current worker might leave? Is it only an indicator of growth? How do we know there aren't a lot more stable jobs out there that aren't being advertised?

I get a dice listing every day - and I haven't looked at it for months because they are almost all the same ones over and over and over. Very few are better than the frying pan I'm already in.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The Governer of California unilaterally cut my wife's pay.