Re: NFS mounted stale redo log

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:40:41 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 5:15 am, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:28:06 +0100, sybrandb wrote:
> > OP may have set up an NFS-link 'somewhere' to an ordinary disk, not
> > using NetApp.
>
> Actually, it is, as of Oracle9i. You can see documents 551159.1 and
> 359515.1. Also, take a look at the following document:http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/oscp.html
> It says, and I quote:
>
> "At this time Oracle believes that these three specialized storage
> technologies are well understood by the customers, are very mature, and
> the Oracle technology requirements are well know. As of January, 2007,
> Oracle will no longer validate these products. We thank our partners for
> their contributions to the OSCP."
>
> That means that there are no "special" or "supported" NAS devices. Any NFS
> server v3 or v4 is supported. NFS files are supported and tested.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.freehostia.com

Interesting note, thanks.

I'm not sure I read it that way (and I literally mean I'm not sure). What does "no longer validate" mean? That you should know you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle if it doesn't work, as the "Oracle technology requirements are well know [sic]".

It sounds like as long as you pass the approproate NFS export/mount options you should "know what you are doing", but if it doesn't work, we haven't "validated" it anyway? Received on Tue Feb 19 2008 - 15:40:41 CST

Original text of this message