Re: (Java) Synchronizing multiple app servers through Oracle

From: <chrism778_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:58:18 -0800 (PST)

SELECT FOR UPDATE seems to essentially do what dbms_lock() is doing, just less elegantly. I've tried it, and I see the same contention looking through OEM that I do using dbms_lock(). Besides, I may need to hold onto the records for a long time while I'm doing my work, which doesn't seem like such a good idea with SELECT FOR UPDATE. Also, I am processing 100's of rows per second on average, so there would be lots of collisions and waste if I tried to just deal with it optimistically.

Does anyone know how dbm_lock is typically used? It seems perfect for what I'm doing, but no one seems to have really used it. Received on Tue Feb 19 2008 - 13:58:18 CST

Original text of this message