Re: National Character Set.

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:37:16 +0100

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
> I have a quick question regarding character sets.
> Our application is written in .Net C# which means it is running in
> Windows. The Windows kernel uses the UCS-2 encoding which would
> imply that my national character set in Oracle (11g) should be
> AL16UTF16 and not UTF8. I know that from what I read that if the
> national character set was set to UTF-8 and I passed in UTF-16 from
> the application that no data loss would occur but that additional
> overhead would be incurred.
> Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Setting the client side (this could be
the server your .Net is running...) NLS seetings to WE8MSWIN1252 (using West European Windows as example), and your server to the correct NLS Setting (WE8ISO8859P1, for example) and your db characterset to UTF-8 or UTF16 makes sure the network layer will do the correct transformations.

There is no need (I repeat, No Need) to set the client and server NLS settings to the same value!

Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up