Re: Recover from cold backup + archive logs question

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:21:45 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 7:41 am, GD <goran99_rem..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> mpokr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > I have a new 10.2 DB setup on Linux.  I had an issue on 2/16 that
> > requires a recovery.  RMAN is not set up and working properly (yet).
> > That is job one once I get this sorted out.
>
> > I have a cold backup from 2/9 + a weeks worth of archive log files.  I
> > have copied the data files and control files from the cold backup into
> > the proper location.  I have left the archive log files in place,
> > assuming that the DB will look for them in the correct location.
>
> > In sqlplus I do
>
> > startup mount
>
> > recover database
>
> > ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
> > ORA-00264: no recovery required
>
> > How do I get my cold backup to process all the archive logs?  They are
> > in the default location under the flash_recovery_area/
>
> The database (cold backup) is consistent and requires no recovery to be
> opened.
>
> To make it apply the archived logs, you should:
>
> recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;
>
> Regards- Hide quoted text -

GD, that is how I would have done the recovery also. I do believe that if the current control file had been available that Oracle on startup would have recognized that recovery was necessary and assumming all archiveded redo logs were available been able to perform automatic recovery.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:21:45 CST

Original text of this message