Trigger: Update the table which fires the trigger?

From: Caja <carsten.jacobs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:56:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I created an
BEFORE UPDATE OF column list ON table FOR EACH ROW trigger in an 10g instance.

In the body I am trying to update an other column of the same table which is fireing the trigger.
The trigger is compiled an valid. When the trigger is fired I got ORA-04091: "...A trigger (or a user defined PL/SQL function that is referenced in this statement) attempted to look at (or modify) a table that was in the middle of being modified by the statement which fired it."

This I understand but I want to do the extra Update as well. Is there a way?

A hint would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Carsten Received on Thu Feb 14 2008 - 08:56:31 CST

Original text of this message