"warm starting" vs non-"warm starting"?

From: Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:50:28 -0800 (PST)

I created an index on obj$ today:

SQL> create index ooee on obj$(name, obj#); create index ooee on obj$(name, obj#)

*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00701: object necessary for warmstarting database cannot be altered

Don't quite understand this, and did some other things, and after some time, I discovered this - if u persistently apply the same SQL:

[...]

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource

First there must be a difference between warmstarting and nonwarmstarting.

   What is it? (what is the difference between all the YYY$ tables vs any other tables - be it in SYS schema or not? why is it forbidden to modify these tables vs those non-YYY$ tables - there must be a reason? this is because the database is already opened anyway, so, is it a precautionary measure, or is there a physical reason not to do this? if it is a physical reason, there there must be some other error, which is not likely. therefore, if this is a precautionary measure, the list of warm starting tables that is advised not to be modified must be stored somewhere, and if we can modify these, the error will go away, right?)

Why the difference in error message - there must be something executing ASYNCHRONOUSLY IN THE BACKGROUND?

Please enlighten me :-). Received on Wed Feb 13 2008 - 20:50:28 CST

Original text of this message