Re: Primary key question

From: Ruud de Koter <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:33:30 +0100

Doug Miller wrote:
> Background: I have 5+ years experience in SQL on Tandem systems, but I'm an
> Oracle newbie trying to adjust to the differences in the two implementations.
> This would work in Tandem SQL/MP:
> create table abc (a char(8), b char(8), c char(8),
> primary key (a, b, c descending));
> but it doesn't seem to work in SQL*Plus -- do I have the syntax
> wrong somehow, or does Oracle simply not support descending sequence in a
> primary key column?

Hi Doug,

Apart from all the stuff brought up: isn't it simply so that a relation (any relation!) does not have an order? Doesn't that make it a logical impossibility for the primary key to be ordered? (Personally, I take this to be rhetorical questions).

Ruud de Koter. Received on Wed Feb 13 2008 - 14:33:30 CST

Original text of this message