Re: ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:03:31 +0100

James.R.Cartwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

> There are multiple oracle applications in this environment, so I can't
> change the sqlnet.ora file. Right now it has a line that says:
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (BEQ, TCPS,KERBEROS5, NTS)

12640, 00000, "Authentication adapter initialization failed"

// *Cause:  The function specified in the authentication table entry for the
//          service failed.
// *Action: Enable tracing to determine the exact error.

My guess is one of these services is not (correctly) installed. And I must say, I have never seen such a mess - do you not have a corporate guideline that specifies *which* protocol is used?

NTS: Ultimately based on Kerberos, so why both? Where does TCPS come in? Do you encrypt your SQL*Net based traffic?
Kerberos is Advanced Security, NTS is basic.

Using an account with password requires Advanced Security to be bypassed (switched off). Setting
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=NONE does just that. Do you want to log on with user/password? Your configuration does not tell that - it tells a different story; one of external authentication. In order to allow for that, you must log on, and so must your third party app.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up