Re: client side core dumps?

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:21:26 -0800 (PST)

Ben wrote:
> 10.2.0.2 win2K
>
> does oracle ever create a core dump file on a client machine? I know
> it must be a remedial question but In my 2.5 years working with oracle
> administration I've never heard nor seen of a client side core dump,
> and I just want to make sure.

Are you including the case of distributed databases, where say an oracle 10.2.0.2 database on w2k is making a client connection to another oracle 10.2.0.2 database on w2k?

I can recall generating ora-600 errors in the case of cursor_sharing = force in an oltp database (10.1.0.3 w2k) connecting to a remote warehouse db (10.1.0.3, RHEL x86) with cursor_sharing = exact, but that is a pretty unique case. 10.1.0.3 was quite buggy.

If not distributed databases, how is oracle (as a server side process) likely to create a core dump file on a client when its the calling application on the client desktop that would dump core.

In w2k3 server, the core dumps will appear as messages to an admin logged into the console.
By clicking through the boxes, one is able to have access to the files in the user's profile ... temp ... to a directory which name is made up on the fly. Copy if out of there into a permanent directory, because as soon as the happy messages are clicked through, the dump files are purged.

I don't recall where they are for w2k.
It probably involves Dr. Watson.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 10:21:26 CST

Original text of this message