Re: application problems

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:21:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 11, 12:55 pm, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 1:40 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Ben wrote:
>
> > > the application "runs" as a service on a windows machine with 10 or so
> > > threads. These threads seem to be getting killed or just dying off.
> > > The problem compounds and gets faster as more of them die.  So it
> > > might take 10 hours for the first one to die, then 9 hours more for a
> > > 2nd one, then 6 hours more for the 3rd, then 2 hours for the 4th, 30
> > > minutes more for the next, etc...
>
> > > Once the last thread has died, all the users (40 or 50) lock up and
> > > the service ( and / or ) server must be restarted.
>
> > Sounds like a MS Windows restriction - Forms cannot run more that approx
> > 80 sessions - check Metalink.
> > Pre NT4.0, things were better... then Microsoft started optimizing.
> > Some of those optimizations can be reversed by setting the "Allow
> > service to interact with Desktop", even when it concerns a background
> > process. Memory distribution (stack, heap) is changed.
>
> > Care to give some information about what runs on the application server?
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
>
> > Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up
>
> Don't know if I confused or not but I'm not referring to "Oracle
> Application Server" ( I swear I'll learn to explicitly state that in
> sometime soon ).
>
> The Application that is running on a Windows 2K server is DCLink 4.2
> from Data Systems International (DSI)- Hide quoted text -

Have you enabled client tracing through the sqlnet.ora file on the application machine? This could reveal much. And, then again, it could reveal nothing that you don't already know.

It's worth a shot, though, in my opinion.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Feb 11 2008 - 13:21:31 CST

Original text of this message