Re: Query Using 20 Parallel Sessions

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:40:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 8, 6:43 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:

> Yes this query was run in shared server mode.  You make it sound like in
> dedicated server that locks wouldn't be held?

I have no clue since it's been years since I've looked at that stuff, just something you should look at, while you are considering whether you should be running queries against 20 million rows in shared server with parallel. You might find more info at oracledoug.com.

I have a vague memory that in years past, your sort of setup would be sensitive to shared pool fragmentation, leading to 4031 type errors. I have no idea if recent versions have this issue. Have you seen this?

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/build_db.htm#PFGRF021 "Shared servers are beneficial for systems where there are many OLTP users performing intermittent transactions."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
There is now one US veteran of WWI alive.