Re: DBID for RMAN backup with format '%u'

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:09:01 -0800 (PST)

On 11 feb, 14:00, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:28 am, Carlos <miotromailcar..._at_netscape.net> wrote:

> > > In that case there is a separate backup of the controlfile. It always
> > > Please find it.
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> > Thanks Sybrand, I knew that, but the only files I've been given are
> > the ones I reported (As I said, the original server is gone).
>
> > Anyway, RMAN includes the current controlfile and spfile in backup set
> > when the datafile 1 is included in the backup (which is the case).
>
> > Is there any way to get the DBID to restore the backups onto another
> > server?
>
> > TIA.
>
> > Cheers.
>
> > Carlos.- Hide quoted text -

> From a backup log file, or from an old alert...
>
> Other than that, somebody should have jotted down the dbid.
>
> If no backup logs, or alerts, or other trace files exist: find a
> strong magnet and trash the backup.
> It is of no use.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Thank you Sybrand.

It seems the backups were made with CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON but the files where the controlfile & spfile were backed up are lost.

I had the hope that the option CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP had been set to OFF and then recover the database from the '%u' FORMATTED files, but RMAN keeps saying that there are neither spfiles nor controlfiles in the backup sets....

It seems I'm #@&%d., but maybe I'll take your idea about the magnet...

Cheers.

Carlos. Received on Mon Feb 11 2008 - 11:09:01 CST

Original text of this message