Re: Accessing Oracle DB Over Internet

From: Charles Hooper <>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:08:15 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 9, 7:04 am, Michael42 <> wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it possible to connect to an Oracle 10g database over the Internet
> via SQLPlus or Java app from a client system (assuming my local
> firewall permits the listener port I use)?
> If this is possible how can it be made secure?
> Thanks for your comments,
> m42

Yes, it is possible to connect to an Oracle database over the Internet. However, it probably is not a good idea to expose the Oracle database server's listener port directly to the Internet. A better approach would be to use the security and data encryption provided by a VPN to act as a gate keeper to the Oracle database server's listener port, and to obscure the actual data submitted by the client and the return data from the database.

You might take a look at the recent thread "Not able to connect to Oracle database through VPN" in this group for some ideas for how a VPN server fits into the configuration with firewalls.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sat Feb 09 2008 - 09:08:15 CST

Original text of this message