Re: Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:39:56 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Serge Rielau wrote:
>>
>>> Can't comment on the other points as I don't know their meaning in
>>> the context.
>>
>> ask <g>
> I did.
>

>> As I don't know if I know something I shouldn't talk about I am going
>> to avoid too much here. If Mark wants to answer I will leave that to
>> him.

> And that was your answer...

For the time being.

>> I find better compression and far better relative performance using
>> Oracle's solution. The thing that I think Mark's team has nailed is
>> when to perform the compression.

> Well spit it out. What did you test? Note that DB2 has no DeWitt clause. > No-one from IBM can come after you for posting your experience.

Without a letter authorizing me to do so from both Oracle and IBM legal ... and this request from a guy who was afraid to use a website ... surely you jest.

>> Consider this ... you have a new, empty, table. You insert one row.
>> What are you going to compress? Insert a second row. What are you
>> going to compress? Fill the block. Ask the question again.
> Why would you want to compress a small near empty table? > There is virtually no benefit.

I wouldn't. Something Oracle's methodology handles perfectly. Make it part of the metadata, as with DB2, and I think that is, perhaps, part of the issue.

>> No matter how you do it, to get back to the original point of the
>> thread, it is a lousy reason to consider changing the back-end from
>> product A to product B given what I've seen of both.
> I don't think it is a lousy reason. It is an insufficient reason in > isolation.

You just agreed with me.

> Let's give Charles some credit and assume that he is looking at more > variables than these two (He also asked about patch certification).

If there are other variables they were, and remain, unstated.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor