Re: Not able to connect to Oracle database through VPN

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 06:27:42 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 7, 6:27 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 1:52 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Ravi wrote:
> > > Port 1500 is open on firewall. Tnsnames entry
>
> > > tv92.tcrix=
> > >   (DESCRIPTION =
> > >     (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > >       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.18.5.79)(PORT = 1500))
> > >     )
> > >     (CONNECT_DATA =
> > >       (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> > >       (SERVICE_NAME = tv92.tcrix)
> > >       (INSTANCE_NAME = tv92a)
> > >     )
> > >   )
>
> > > Please check trace file if anybody can figure out something, we are
> > > facing this issue since last 3months.
>
> > You have a firewalled VPN, then? What if you disable the firewall
> > for the VPN connections?
> > (Why do you have your VPN firewalled anyway?!? VPN through a
> > firewall - yes, but firewalling a VPN?)
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
>
> I firewall my VPN:
>  (Oracle Server)-(Firewall)-(VPN Server)-(Firewall)-(Internet)
>
> Why?  So that I can control the type of traffic flowing through the
> VPN based on port and protocol and the requesting client.  Such a
> setup helps control the damage a remote system can do to the corporate
> network, as well as control what the computers on the corporate
> network can do to damage the remote system.
>
> Charles Hooper
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Charles for semi-detailed description of how VPN works in relation to Oracle and Firewalls. This is an area where I have not had to deal with very much in relation to my Oracles, but I think this is good information.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 08 2008 - 08:27:42 CST

Original text of this message