Query Using 20 Parallel Sessions

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:05:36 -0500

Oracle 10.2.0.3.0
Windows Server 2003

We have a query going against a 100 million plus row partitioned table using a bitmap index on a column with only 3 distinct values. When the query runs it only takes about 2 minutes and uses about 20 parallel sessions. This query is trying to retrieve specific rows where a value in a column is 0 so the number of rows returned will not be huge.

The person who runs this query has been informed that this is causing a "problem" because of it using 20 parallel sessions and has come to me to resolve the problem.

I personally believe it is just Oracle working as designed and chosing the most efficient access path and method.

Any comment/suggestions as to what my response should be?

Thanks Received on Fri Feb 08 2008 - 07:05:36 CST

Original text of this message