Re: Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:05:54 -0800 (PST)

Serge Rielau wrote:

> > you know what is amazing in this paper?
> > How it shows improvements in CPU in the application server
> > when the db server gets compressed rows!
> > Must be an amzing "feature", this compression that
> > can change the performance in a different system...

> What are you referring to? Care to share a page number?

What's the matter, can't you read basic English?

What I'm talking about is that paper making false claims about db CPU use reduction by measuring application dialogue CPU use.

SAP is a multi-tier application-server based system. If you change the CPU usage in the database it works against, you change NOTHING in the CPU usage of the application server in which SAP is being executed. Note that I am talking about CPU Usage, the term used uin that paper. NOT overall wall clock time or duration.

The paper contains multiple examples near the end of " dialogue test cases" in which the " CPU usage" by SAP was reduced.

Yeah, I'm sure this was caused by DB2's compression. And the pope is not a Catholic.

Talk about NO CLUE, from whoever lousy marketeer pushed this one out... Received on Thu Feb 07 2008 - 20:05:54 CST

Original text of this message