which platform to pick for a scratch self education server

From: Obakesan <pellicleundies_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 06:00:28 GMT

Hi

well I guess that I'm limited to some flavour of linux, but just incase I thought I'd ask for opinions from the many differing opinions which may lurk out here.

At work in the past I've been on oracle (as a developer) from 7 through to 10g, always on solaris servers. The only oracle box I've set up and developed was on a flavour of linux called "miracal linux"

not wanting to ignore the possiblity of there being advantages to windows server I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any reasons why that might be a better choice.

being economically challenged at the moment, I'm thinking of setting this up on what ever I can get cheap (or free). I might (for example) be able to get an older x31 laptop that died going again. Perhaps (as it has a gig of DDR on it) that might be an acceptable server for running tests on. Might run Apache on it and see if I can get communication going there too.

anyway, I'm leaning towards a linux insto, so any input appreciated

thanks

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply Received on Wed Feb 06 2008 - 00:00:28 CST

Original text of this message