Re: Why is VARCHAR2(4000) bad ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:16:28 -0800

Andrew M wrote:
> On Feb 4, 6:07 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Read what JMoo wrote: Yes it does!
>>

> JMoo is talking about problems with other products like Toad or
> languages such as Pro*C. If those are considerations then, yes, you
> should design for it. I never said to arbitrarily use 4000 as the
> length.
> What I said was the presentation by Julian you cited talks about bind
> variable mismatch which does not support the argument that it is bad
> to use a varchar2 because it will use more memory, which is what you
> were trying to suggest. It is misinforming.
>
> Andrew

I know what you said. But you are incorrect.

Tables do not live in isolation: Databases are not black holes.

Connect to that schema using any tool, SQL*Plus, Crystal Reports, Oracle Forms, ODBC, even a well defined variable in a PL/SQL proc and you will find that you are incorrect.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor