Re: Why is VARCHAR2(4000) bad ?

From: Andrew M <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 05:52:50 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 6:07 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Read what JMoo wrote: Yes it does!

JMoo is talking about problems with other products like Toad or languages such as Pro*C. If those are considerations then, yes, you should design for it. I never said to arbitrarily use 4000 as the length.
What I said was the presentation by Julian you cited talks about bind variable mismatch which does not support the argument that it is bad to use a varchar2 because it will use more memory, which is what you were trying to suggest. It is misinforming.

Andrew Received on Tue Feb 05 2008 - 07:52:50 CST

Original text of this message