Re: Outer join in database link query to Sybase

From: Vince <vinnyop_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:07:49 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 3:59 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Vince wrote:
> > I have a need to query records from a Sybase database running on Linux
> > (32-bit) and am using Oracle 10.2.0.3 with generic connectivity (no
> > specific heterogeneous service for Sybase on Linux). We have installed
> > an ODBC driver on the Oracle server and can query the Sybase database
> > without difficulty except for outer joins.
>
> > I have tried using both the Oracle syntax and the ANSI syntax. Both
> > return results that are consistent with using an inner join. The ANSI
> > query, run directly against the Sybase database returns the correct
> > data.
>
> > I was looking into the possibility of using dbms_hs_passthrough, but
> > it does not appear to be part of the generic connectivity.
>
> > Is there a better/right way of doing this?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Vince
>
> Build a view in Sybase that does what you want.
>
> SELECT * from the view.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

I figured I could do that, but I am hoping to not have to, since I would need to maintain such views (one for each outer join required) on many ( > 100 ) Sybase dbs. I figured out how to get dbms_hs_passthrough to work and it gives the expected results, but I was hoping to not have to do that either.

Any idea why outer join does not work?

As an Received on Mon Feb 04 2008 - 18:07:49 CST

Original text of this message