Problem with Oracle standby database (automatic transfer of archived logs)

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:39:15 -0800 (PST)

I am on HP UNIX 11 and still on Oracle 8.1.6.1 (cannot move to another version). I setup a standby database and am using Oracle's automatic mechanism to transfer archived logs from primary to standby database by setting:

log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=kdcsb OPTIONAL REOPEN=60'

Before moving to production, I did testing of this setup for several months by manually switching an archived log every 15 minutes and everything ran fine. Now, I have moved to production and am finding this setup is not working:

  1. Oracle sometimes only partial archived log causing recovery to fail on standby.
  2. Oracle sometimes does not transfer archived logs at all, so standby database has some logs missing, i.e., logxxx92, logxxx94, logxxx95, logxxx97. There is no pattern here.

I am in production now and I want this problem to be fixed quickly. Are there any options in log_archive_dest, which can be set to remove/ reduce this kind of error? Appreciate, any help.

Thanks. Received on Mon Feb 04 2008 - 13:39:15 CST

Original text of this message