Re: Oracle Hint Behavior

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:11:39 -0000

"Dereck L. Dietz" <> wrote in message news:BO%nj.9627$
> Oracle
> Windows 2003 Server
> What is the behavior of hints in Oracle 10g? I knew that prior to 10g
> Oracle would treat them as only "suggestions" but I thought in 10g they
> would be mostly followed.
> We have a query which is doing a full table scan even with hints being
> used to try to get it to use an index. I can see why it would choose a
> full table scan considering the percentage of the table being returned
> but I'd like to be able to explain why the hint is being ignored now.
> Thanks.

One of the problems of hinting in 10g is that the rules of application seem to have become more formal. This MAY be a side effect of the way that cost-based query transformation works.

I have examples where I can supply hints that are considered correct in 9i, but are not valid unless I use the fully qualified hint with the query block name included.

Jonathan Lewis

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ