Re: connect databases via http

From: Donkey Hot <spam_at_plc.is-a-geek.com>
Date: 01 Feb 2008 15:39:21 GMT

"shakespeare" <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in news:47a3371e$0$85796$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl:

> "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

>> prunoki <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu> wrote in news:f8c01d18-c872-4a00-9fa6-
>> 33e7491f46a3_at_e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you know of any means to connect two Oracle 10g databases via
>>> http or https without using a middle tier (php, java, whatever...)?
>>> One db here, one db there and the traffic have to go through company
>>> firewalls. No proxys would be standing in the way, we get direct
>>> connectivity via http. It would be very nice to be able to query the
>>> other database somehow directly from pl-sql.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Krisztian
>>>

>> Oracle RDBMS does not speak hhtp or https.
>>
>> So the short answer is, "NO!".

> This is not completely true, the oracle listener can also accept http
> requests, and listen to port 80. A database can be contacted through
> http without having a http server.
> If the above functionality can be built with that... I doubt it. One
> could perform procedure/function calls over http...
>
> Shakespeare

I doubt the Oracle listener can "Talk" http, while certainly can be configured to use http port (80) instead of the default.

But anyway, if the corporation needs this, it certainly can open Oracle default port in it's firewalls. Which is dangerous.

No matter what the port is, it's dangerous. I would not open my Oracle server to the internet, no matter how "unbreakable" is might be in Larry Ellison's head. Received on Fri Feb 01 2008 - 09:39:21 CST

Original text of this message