Re: long running select min(timestamp) query

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:09:56 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 30, 6:26 pm, "bobdu..._at_gmail.com" <bobdu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:02 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I doubt it makes a difference for the min/max types of queries but do
> > you update statistics on a regular basis, or at least after such mass
> > deletes? There *may* be an impact if concurrently running queries are
> > less efficient because of stale statistics and your IO becomes slower
> > just because of increased concurrent IO load.
>
> I don't do anything regularily, which is bad yes, but ianaodba,

Then please do yourself a favor ask whoever is responsible for the database to set up statistics gathering.

> so i
> don't even know what to do, i try to let this intelligent system
> handle itself :)

Oracle is getting better with manageability IMHO but you cannot let a DB left unattended.

> How do i know if i have system statistics set?

From an earlier posting in this group:

select pname, pval1, sname
from sys.aux_stats$
where sname = 'SYSSTATS_MAIN'

Btw, http://tahiti.oracle.com is your friend. It's even searchable.

Kind regards

robert Received on Thu Jan 31 2008 - 02:09:56 CST

Original text of this message