Re: Oracle hints

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:46:32 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 29, 6:05 pm, Peter Teoh <htmldevelo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> For a one time query, and if I were to make many of these, caching in
> the V$SQLAREA is not necessary.
>
> Is there any Oracle hint to allow me to do that?
>
> Thanks.

v$sqlarea is just a view. Oracle has to hard parse the new query anyways. There really isn't anything sensible one could do to avoid that.

If there are many singular queries, they'll just get aged out fast. If you are reusing other sql just after it is getting aged out, you need a bigger shared area anyways.

Sybrand probably understates the issues with cursor_sharing. http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/memory.htm#sthref648 Look at the bulletins and bugs found when searching for cursor_sharing on metalink.

I can't always tell if Mladen is joking.

Can't help but think it is a valid wish to be able to tell Oracle "hey, don't even bother trying to keep this query around. And no peeking!"

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
". . . Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens, you'll need a