Re: What's net got do with it

From: JMoo <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:12:38 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 29, 7:58 pm, "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote:
> > I am somewhat familiar with the TNS stack. I have read through the
> > documentation and can not find anything pertinent to my question. For
> > example, the Oracle9i Net Services Administrator's Guide says:
> > "The primary function of Oracle Net is to establish and maintain
> > connections between a client application and an Oracle database
> > server."
>
> > But I am not calling FROM a client TO the database server. I am
> > calling FROM the database server ( which is functioning as a client)
> > to a NON TNS application, namely an apache web server.
>
> > So, I'm still at a loss for why TNS should come into play when the
> > target server knows nothing about TNS. Could it be that Oracle
> > Network (TNS) is behaving as a proxy?
>
> Your TNS error came from the client not the web server. The client did not
> receive a response after a specified amount of time.

Bob,
If I understand you correctly, when I give the HTTPURITYPE.createuri command, I am in essence telling Oracle Net to make an outbound HTTP connection. I'll buy that, but there is still something I don't understand which is ...

why is it taking about 4 minutes to time out and what can I do to shorten the length of time. We need to have the timeout happen in about 5 seconds. Basically, if the Apache server is not reachable, wait 5 seconds, log the error, and move on. I thought that UTL_HTTP.set_transfer_timeout (5); would do that for me, but my experience shows me that it only works sometimes.

My GUESS is that it goes like this:

If connection to target server succeds, but target server does not reply THEN

      wait UTL_HTTP.set_transfer_timeout (5); and raise UTL_HTTP error ELSIF

     connection does not succeed (i e. cant even find the server)
          wait some TNS defined interval and raise TNS time out error;

If my above GUESS is true, then how can I make the TNS outbound HTTP connection time our more quickly?

regards,
Mike Received on Wed Jan 30 2008 - 10:12:38 CST

Original text of this message