Re: What's net got do with it

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:24:25 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 29, 1:04 pm, JMoo <michaeljmo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using a command like
>
>    UTL_HTTP.set_transfer_timeout (5);
>
>    SELECT HTTPURITYPE.createuri
>              (   'http://fluffy.sf.nowhere.net:8080/rodger-admin/
> manageCacheFull.do?userName='
> 'myuser&password=password&action=update&cacheName=com.rcom.tarcaptu'
>               || 're.prxcommon.entity.RTotal&cacheKey=9'
>              ).getclob () web_page
>      INTO l_web_page
>      FROM DUAL;
>
> My question is NOT how to fix the problem. Instead, what I want to
> know is what TNS has to do with HTTPURITYPE (which is really utl_tcp
> in a wrapper). I don't understand how TNS gets involved. It would seem
> to me that the implementation of utl_tcp, which in written in C, would
> create the necessary socket etc. I understand how Oracle Net gets
> involved for "inbound" HTTP connections but for "outbound" connections
> it doesn't make any sense.
>
> ORA-29273: HTTP request failed
> ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_HTTP", line 1674
> ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out
> ORA-06512: at "SYS.HTTPURITYPE", line 34
> ORA-06512: at line 6
>
> As a side note, the error takes about 4 minutes  before it happens.
> It should take  5 seconds to time out, but I believe that  the 5
> second time out only works  at the the  HTTP level, but  because the
> problem is TNS related,  the TNS  time-out interval will need to lapse
> before the error message is dumped.
>
> I have searched for documentation but not found it. So, if you direct
> me to some documentation, that would be great.
>
> Mike

The purpose of HTTPURITYPE is to make a remote call to get data. There is are software layers that need to be worked through to get from "here" to "there" http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/architec.htm#1047686 . TNS stands for Transparent Network Substrate, which means it is the layer above the network layer - the network doesn't have to be tcp, TNS allows translation to all protocols (theoretically). So you can look at what is happening by tracing at that layer: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/network.htm#9371

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I once had part of my website blocked because nannyware didn't like