What's net got do with it

From: JMoo <michaeljmoore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:04:10 -0800 (PST)

I am using a command like

   UTL_HTTP.set_transfer_timeout (5);

   SELECT HTTPURITYPE.createuri

             ( 'http://fluffy.sf.nowhere.net:8080/rodger-admin/ manageCacheFull.do?userName='

'myuser&password=password&action=update&cacheName=com.rcom.tarcaptu'

              || 're.prxcommon.entity.RTotal&cacheKey=9'
             ).getclob () web_page
     INTO l_web_page
     FROM DUAL;

My question is NOT how to fix the problem. Instead, what I want to know is what TNS has to do with HTTPURITYPE (which is really utl_tcp in a wrapper). I don't understand how TNS gets involved. It would seem to me that the implementation of utl_tcp, which in written in C, would create the necessary socket etc. I understand how Oracle Net gets involved for "inbound" HTTP connections but for "outbound" connections it doesn't make any sense.

ORA-29273: HTTP request failed
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_HTTP", line 1674
ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out
ORA-06512: at "SYS.HTTPURITYPE", line 34
ORA-06512: at line 6

As a side note, the error takes about 4 minutes before it happens. It should take 5 seconds to time out, but I believe that the 5 second time out only works at the the HTTP level, but because the problem is TNS related, the TNS time-out interval will need to lapse before the error message is dumped.

I have searched for documentation but not found it. So, if you direct me to some documentation, that would be great.

Mike Received on Tue Jan 29 2008 - 15:04:10 CST

Original text of this message