Re: long running select min(timestamp) query

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:17:52 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 28, 7:40 am, "bobdu..._at_gmail.com" <bobdu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a basic event table in my 10g database, primary integer key,
> and a nonnull timestamp "eventdate" field.  When executing the
> following command:
>
> select min(eventdate) from events;
>
> It can occasionally take a VERY long time.  There is a standard btree
> index on "eventdate", and roughly 20 other columns, a few of which
> also have basic btree indexes.

Well, I'm guessing that your 20 column index is just not the best one for your min. What happens if you make a btree index on just that eventdate column? It's been my experience that any table with more than a few columns in an index isn't properly normalized.

There might be bug/patch issues, too. timestamp is relatively new, and you are using an unpatched base release.

How are you loading this table? What is the exact definition of the index?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.spacefem.com/hydrox/