Re: File permission with datapump file (Oracle 10G Release2)

From: <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:29:30 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.
On Jan 28, 11:14 am, Damien <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem that I can't resolve. I hope that someone have a
> response.
> I use the package DBMS_DATAPUMP to do an export of my database into a
> file.
> The export operation is done correctly and the file appears correctly
> on the UNIX filesystem.
> Here is the output of the "ls -l" command :
> -rw-r-----    1 oracle   dba        614400 Jan 28 16:43 export.dmp
> The exported file permissions are set by default as shown below.
> The problem is that I have to do some actions that need write
> permissions on this file with a distant user via SSH (that user cannot
> be oracle).

What could those 'actions' be? Why would a user other than 'oracle' need to access that file? It's an export of a schema/database that normally only 'oracle' would need to process.

> My question is :
> How to modify the default permission of the file to set the write
> permission to the group or others?

Modify the umask for the 'oracle' account.

> It is possible with a specific Oracle Package ?

Not to my knowledge.

> Is there any
> solution ?

Modify the umask, as I said earlier.

> I show on another thread that we can modify the umask of the user
> oracle but I also cannot do this (professionnal restriction.)

In that case you'll need to write a 'wrapper' script to run your dbms_datapump call, and in that script alter the permissions on the resulting file.

> Thanks by advance for your help.
> Regards.
> Damien

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jan 28 2008 - 11:29:30 CST

Original text of this message