Re: Oracle Connection

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:32:07 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 27, 10:45 am, l..._at_tech-trans.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
>   I have Windows application connect to the Oracle database server
> through ODBC all the time.  However, we found the application
> disconnect from database on each day morning.  The error involved
> "TNS-12152 unable to send break message", "ora-12570 TNS packet write
> failure" and so on.  I have tuned MTU size of Windows server and reset
> the switches.  It so strange!
>
> Ming

Just a couple questions for clarification: Why did you adjust the MTU on the Windows server, and what is its current value?

When did this problem start - more specifically, how many days did the application work before you started experiencing problems?

What version of Oracle are you running, and have you applied any patches? Examples of Oracle versions include: 8.0.5, 8.1.7.3, 10.2.0.3, 11.1.0.6.

What ODBC version are you running?

Is the database server connected to the client through a WAN link (dial-up, ISDN, DSL, cable, T1, etc.), or through a local area network?

Are there managed switches between the server and the client computer?

Has someone experimented with Resource Manager in Oracle or changed the user profiles in Oracle?

Have you tried enabling a 10046 trace for the client?

Does the application attempt to remain connected to the database until the application closes, or does the application open and close the connection to the database repeatly?

Are there any other applications experiencing problems remaining connected to the database for more than 24 hours?

Are there any dump files of interest on the server, which will likley be located in the udump folder.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sun Jan 27 2008 - 12:32:07 CST

Original text of this message