Re: Question on Package Variables

From: William Robertson <williamr2019_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:11:22 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 24, 4:01 pm, Galen Boyer <galen_bo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Secondly:
> > You can't access PL/sql variables outside pl/sql even if they are in a
> > package spec.
>
> I understand that. Was just wondering if there was a why.

The way I think of it is that PL/SQL is a wrapper for SQL, and not the other way around. SQL can use a package function because the specification is published at compilation time, and it knows how to execute functions without having to know anything about PL/SQL. This is also consistent with SQL*Plus DESCRIBE, which shows only procedures and functions i.e. the SQL interface (SQL can execute procedures using CALL). Hope that helps. Received on Sun Jan 27 2008 - 04:11:22 CST

Original text of this message