Re: Errors in Trace and Alert Files Concerning Disappearing Processes

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:01:42 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 25, 11:26 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Out of a total server memory of 16GB, 12 GB is allocated to Oracle.  There
> is also 250MB in the PGA.  I don't have direct access to the server so I can
> only use what information I can get off of the Enterprise Manager (or
> alert/trace files I get sent to me).  Charles Hooper did mention to me that
> Enterprise Manager could give false information about page swapping but,
> that being said, it constantly shows at 100% for Virtual Memory Page
> Swapping.
>
> You mentioned memory leaks.  I recall seeing something in a number of the
> trace files I was sent about SGA memory leaks.  I'll have to pursue that
> also.
>
> My manager has requested our off-site DBA to put in a SR with Oracle over
> the 7445 error.
>
> Unfortunately we are a datawarehouse which has been configured completely as
> a shared server.  We have a lot of long-running processes.

You might take a look at bug 5490054 on Metalink to see if it applies. The bug is related to Resource Manager and the SWITCH_TIME setting:
"...But when connecting by MTS, resource manager tries to stop the session by killing shared serever process. So shared server dies and ORA-3113 is returned to terminal. Because of dying of shared server process, PMON tries to re-start shared server process, and next messages are appeared in alert.log at that timing. . found dead shared server 'S000', pid = (XX, X)"

There are a lot of bug hits on Metalink for core dump ACCESS_VIOLATION unable_to_trans_pc UNABLE_TO_WRITE - you may be able to find a possible fix, but some of those bug reports have been open for 1.5 years. What is the value of CURSOR_SHARING on the server?

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Jan 25 2008 - 23:01:42 CST

Original text of this message