Re: ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:15:54 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 23, 6:29 am, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote: ...
> know how to prove it. The Oracle 10.2.03 redhat linux 64bits machine
> crashed this morning. Upon the reboot i did, it seemed all back to
> normal. However, trying to add a datafile went wrong:
>
> idle> alter tablespace cdrstorage add datafile '/oradata02/xxx/
> storage07.dbf' size 16384M ;
>
> alter tablespace cdrstorage add datafile '/oradata02/xxx/
> storage07.dbf' size 16384M
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-19502: write error on file "/oradata02/xxx/storage07.dbf", blockno
> 9
> 86497
> (blocksize=8192)
> ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
> Additional information: 986496
>
> Does anyone know what the 'Additional information: 986496' means? The
> IO was a bit of a problem anyway, with IO value's which were too low
> for these 10k rpm SAS disks.
> Any advice on these errormessages is welcome.
>
> HV
> ps i also saw a lot of
> " WARNING:Oracle process running out of OS kernel I/O resources"
> messages in the dumpdirectories, but there were only a few hits on
> metalink on this and no bugfix or workaround is presented.

"Additional information" for the error that accompanies ORA-19502 is usually just the file block number. Try to dump the block and adjacent ones and see if there's anything wrong. Can you also run dbv on the file?

That WARNING message has a lot of hits on Metalink. Some suggest turning off disk_asynch_io. One note points to a Novell site which I can't access. Oracle and Redhat seem to have some joint discussion on this too (http://oss.oracle.com/osswiki/RedHatEngineeringMeeting). But I don't know what was the result.

Are you using Itanium? If so, consider moving away from it. There're too many issues with it.

Yong Huang Received on Fri Jan 25 2008 - 22:15:54 CST

Original text of this message