Re: Maxbytes sifgnification

From: teddyber <teddyber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:45:42 -0800 (PST)

On 23 jan, 15:31, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Jan 23, 8:12 am, teddyber <teddy..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 23 jan, 15:01, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>
> > > Comments embedded.

> > > It's the current size of the datafile.
>
> > not exactly. Actually I fell upon this question because I had (and
> > still have!) different values for BYTES and MAXBYTES columns for
> > datafiles not autoextensible.
> > BYTES is the size of the file on the filesystem.

> > > alter database datafile '.......' resize [some number here];
>
> > this only affects the filesize and the changes the BYTES column on my
> > server...
>
> > > which sets the maxbytes to the newly adjusted size.

> > > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> Looking at 10.2.0.3 I see the following:
>
> FILE_NAME BYTES
> MAXBYTES
> -------------------------------------------------- ----------
> ----------
> /d09/oradata/********/system01.dbf 367001600
> 0
>
> So I stand corrected (teaches me to answer from memory). MAXBYTES is
> 0 which indicates the file is not autoextensible. It won't change
> until you activate autoextend for that file.
>
> My apologies for answering without the aid of investigation.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

no problem! I'm still puzzled since i do not have a zero value for maxbytes but 10Go or 32Go or the same as the BYTES column for tablespaces where autoextend is off.
I also cannot spot the difference between those tablespaces ! (creation method, modifications done, etc.). Received on Wed Jan 23 2008 - 08:45:42 CST

Original text of this message