Re: Why is VARCHAR2(4000) bad ?

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: 23 Jan 2008 08:11:30 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:36:39 -0500, Serge Rielau wrote:

>> It will be when Oracle buys IBM. That will happen just before the
>> patchset comes out.
> Now, now, getting patch sets can't be that hard... is it?

Oracle 10 is a significant rewrite of Oracle RDBMS. Significant portion of the code has been changed to accommodate various new features:

  • Dynamic remastering in RAC environment
  • Flashback area, with the accompanying RMAN novelties
  • Block change tracking
  • Data pump utilities and external tables.
  • Gridlock utility
  • ASM
These new features required significant parts of the core RDBMS code to be changed. As a result, Oracle 10 has gazillion bugs. Company strategy is to resolve them by launching a new version. I've seen this happen with Oracle8. Obtaining patchsets was slightly worse then having a root canal done. Patchsets for Oracle9 were released every few months, 8 of them in total. I am starting to believe the story about odd and even versions of Oracle. From the way situation looks right now, Oracle Corp. will sooner buy IBM then release
Mladen Gogala