Re: A potential bug (infinite loop) in Oracle: querying v$access

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:55:05 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 23, 9:23 am, Peter Teoh <htmldevelo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Making a long query:
>
> select distinct name from all_source;
> SYS_YOID0000052452$
> 3196 rows selected.
>
> Ok no problem.
>
> select distinct owner from v$access
> SQL> /
> select distinct owner from v$access
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation
>
> I had to terminate it as it become non-terminating.
>
> "select owner from v$access" returns a mere 193 rows, and it cannot
> sort it?
>
> I suspect there is exists an infinite loop somewhere.
>
> This was attempted on 10gR2, 11gR1 and both had the same problem.

9.2.0.8/Win32 doesn't have this issue: select distinct owner from v $access returns 3 rows instantaneously as expected. I don't have a 10gR2 or 11gR1 instance handy to test, but if this issue is definitely reproducible on these releases (maybe on certain platforms only,) I suggest that you open a SR with Oracle Support for it as it looks like a regression or platform-dependent bug.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed Jan 23 2008 - 00:55:05 CST

Original text of this message