Locally Managed Tablespace and ASSM

From: Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:33:08 -0800 (PST)

In my 10gR2:

SQL> select extent_management, segment_space_management, tablespace_name from dba_tablespaces;

LOCAL      MANUAL SYSTEM
LOCAL      MANUAL UNDOTBS1
LOCAL      AUTO   SYSAUX
LOCAL      MANUAL TEMP
LOCAL      AUTO   USERS
LOCAL      AUTO   EXAMPLE
LOCAL      AUTO   ART_TS

In spite of all the big stories and advantages of ASSM, why is Oracle 10gR2 still using MANUAL for segment_space_management?

Why is PCTUSED, NEXT, FREELISTS is not needed in LMT? The main feature of LMT is bitmap managed freelists, vs the dictionary managed freelists in prior version. But I cannot understand why the PCTUSED, NEXT, FREELISTS feature can be taken away with the availability of a new feature, as they can surely co-exists. If it is taken away for simplification of management - then it is fine.

I had to agree that all these parameters are really very complicated. Now that it is removed, good - it has been replaced by some internal formula. So how are these PCTUSED, NEXT, FREELISTS etc formula implemented? Can it be customized or modified by us - in future? Received on Tue Jan 22 2008 - 19:33:08 CST

Original text of this message