Re: Flush shared_pool

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:25:28 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 8:05 pm, "Yannick ROGER" <yannick.ro..._at_achatpro.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to flush the shared_pool in order to "accelerate" effects of changing
> cursor_sharing parameter. What is the risk, if it exist, on a production
> server with batch running?
>
> Regards,
>
> Yannick

Currently executing statements will not be flushed, so your batch is perfectly safe (unless it's external, in which case all statements submitted after the flush will be re-parsed.) As Steve said, you will see a hit on CPU for a while, similar to one experienced when the instance is just started and the shared pool is initially populated. Other than that, no risks are known to be associated with this operation (at least to me,) except the obvious risk associated with change of system parameter like cursor_sharing.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Tue Jan 22 2008 - 12:25:28 CST

Original text of this message